News

Jayasumana: Nearly 2 mn people have received booster shots

Published

on

(L-R) Dr. Hamdani, Prof Jayasumana

By Shamindra Ferdinando

Deputy Director General of Health Services (DDGHS) Dr. Hemantha Herath yesterday (20) said that those between 16 and 20 years would be given the second as well as the booster in due course.

Dr. Herath said that an announcement would be made in that regard soon. The top official said so when The Island questioned the rationale in denying the 18-20 category, that included the student community, at least two doses at a time people 20 and above were being administered the third jab.

The health ministry spokesperson Dr. Herath said that in the wake of reports and claims of complications caused to some of those who had received the second dose the government put on hold the second round of vaccination of those between 16 and 20 category. However, analysis of relevant data proved that there was no basis for concern therefore they too would be fully inoculated, Dr. Herath said.

The second round would be launched in consultation with the Education Ministry, Dr. Herath said.

Responding to another query, Dr. Herath said that the population 16 and above would be given three doses, including the booster in line with the government policy whereas the inoculation of 12-16 category would be restricted to one jab.

Medical Technical Services Director Dr. Anwar Hamdani on Sunday (19) told The Island that decisions with regard to vaccination would be taken by a technical committee headed by Director General of Health Services (DGHS) Dr. Asela Gunawardena. The official said in response to The Island query why the student community was deprived of at least two doses at a time omicron posed quite a threat.

Dr. Hamdani explained how the inoculation project was being carried out as expeditiously as possible to counter the continuing threat posed by Covid-19. The omicron variant is a matter for serious concern, Dr. Hamdani said.

State Minister of Production, Supply and Regulation of Pharmaceuticals Prof. Channa Jayasumana said that the Covid-19 situation was largely under control due to the largely successful completion of the second round of inoculation and an early launch of the third.

Acknowledging that there had been shortcomings on their part as well, Prof. Jayasumana said that so far approximately 2 mn people had received the booster. The State Minister said that the government had sufficient stocks of Pfizer in hand to continue with the third round of inoculation.

The top medical academic turned politician emphasized that they felt the urgent need to administer a booster before the end of this year as a key part of the overall strategy to thwart another massive eruption during the festive period.

Asked whether the government had been successful in convincing the public about the urgent necessity for the inoculation drive, State Minister Jayasumana emphasized that those who refused to get vaccinated were only a fraction of the population. If one compares the segments which refused the vaccination over various reasons, including religious sentiments in the West and other parts of the world, the situation here was much better, Prof. Jayasumana said.

The State Minister said that the government wouldn’t under any circumstances force people to receive vaccination. However, those who refused vaccination should realize their movements would be automatically restricted once the inoculation was made mandatory to enter public places, the Anuradhapura District MP said.

Commenting on the impact the epidemic had on the national economy, Prof. Jayasumana said that the country was already experiencing such a difficult situation another eruption would be catastrophic. “We cannot afford to have another lockdown,” Prof. Jayasumana said, urging the public to follow the basic guidelines. According to the State Minister, the losses suffered since early 2020 due to Covid-19 eruption had been incalculable and were having a negative impact on current recovery efforts.

Prof. Jayasumana remained as State Minister of Production, Supply and Regulation of Pharmaceuticals in spite of health minister Pavitradevi Wanniarachchi being replaced by Keheliya Rambukwella on August 16.  Rambukwella received the health ministry amidst accusations over serious flaws in the management of the epidemic.

Click to comment

Trending

Exit mobile version